Here are some Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Family Law:

What is the difference between a contested and uncontested divorce?

A contested divorce occurs when the parties are not in agreement about the terms of their divorce and go to court proceedings to allow the judge to decide.

An uncontested divorce occurs where the parties agree to every single term in a settlement agreement which can then be filed with the Court which will sign a final divorce order.

Why do I Need a Lawyer?

Divorce and family law issues can be deeply emotional topics. It is important to have a lawyer so you know what your rights are and so that you have a partner to help you think clearly about a situation that may bring you great distress.

How do Courts decide who gets custody of the family pet?

Courts view pets as property and will not use special criteria to determine who gets custody or whether someone will have visitation rights.

What is the difference between physical and legal custody?

Physical custody pertains to where the child will recide as their primary residence

Legal Custody pertains to the right to make major decisions in the child’s life like religion and schooling. Parents with only vistiation rights would reasonably be allowed to decide such issues as where the child will eat breakfast that day. Legal Custody is not the right to micromanage a child’s life.

Does Every Couple Need A Prenuptial Agreement?

The decision to have a prenuptial agreement is situation specific. Not every couple may benefit from a prenuptial agreeement.

Can I get an Order of Protection without notifying the other party?

Yes it is possible to get what is called an ex parte order by filing a petition which does not need to served on the other party. However the order of protection must be served on the other party to become effective.

How long does it take to get a Michigan Divorce?

Every Michigan divorce has a minimum 60 day waiting period before the Judge signs the decree of divorce.

If the parties have children the generally court requires a 6 month waiting period before it will sign a divorce decree unless a party makes a motion to the court indicating special circumstances support the waiver of this 6 month waitin period.

How long do I have to Answer a Complaint for Divorce?

The defendant in a divorce has 21 days to answer a correctly served complaint.

Get in Touch


New York:

Send Me A Message

Attorney Advertising

The information on this site is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or other associated pages of this site or documents, comments, answers, emails or other communication contained in or occurring on this site creates an attorney client relationship. Prior results do not guarantee future outcomes.

Privacy Statement: This site does not collect cookies or personal data. This site does not collect or save contact information of any submissions made through the contact form on this site.

Copyright DIANA MOHYI ATTORNEY AT LAW P.C. – All rights reserved

%d bloggers like this: