Which Relatives Have the Right to Request Visitation with Minor Child in Michigan?

people standing in front of wood pile
Photo by Craig Adderley on Pexels.com

In the State of Michigan only certain relatives have the right to request visitation with a minor child. A recent Michigan Court of Appeals decision clarified this issue which allows for the minor to be cut off from contact with certain relatives.

Only parents or grandparents have a right to request visitation with a minor child who is in the care of a guardian. A court does not have the authority to grant court ordered visitation between the child and other relatives. In the case In re Prepodnik, the child’s paternal aunt tried to get visitation and the higher court overturned the lower court’s order which granted her visitation as it was determined to be clear error.

If you want to defend a third-party’s attempt to have visitation with your child, or want to seek visitation, contact Diana Mohyi Attorney at Law for a consultation.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: