The Difference Between a Michigan Conservatorship and Guardianship Petition


Both Conservatorships and Guardianships give you authority to manage an incapacitated adult or minor child’s affairs but they cover different spheres of the person’s life. Generally, Guardianships are reserved for helping the person to manage their health affairs while Conservatorships are for managing that person’s finances. 

Both Conservatorships and Guardianships carry with them a duty to report their activities to the Court especially when dealing with that person’s money. It is possible to request that the court pay an attorney from the money that belongs to that incapacitated adult or minor. The Court issues letters of authority to the person who takes on either role to allow them to prove to third parties like banks or hospitals, that they have the authority to act on behalf of the incapacitated adult or minor child. 

If you need assistance in obtaining a Conservatorship or Guardianship over a person over whose affairs you have an interest in protecting or are defending a third party’s attempt to obtain such control over your life, contact Diana Mohyi Attorney at Law for assistance. 

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: